The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
chad64chevy

Re: dinos 64 soon to be a long bed dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantimdad View Post
I should have been more clear. The box size wasn't the concern.

Putting a speaker box inside a vehicle is like putting it in another box. Doing so changes the tuning due to the amount of air space in the cabin. If the speakers are too large, they pressurize the cabin before reaching full excursion causing ear fatigue and mistuning.

This is why using smaller woofers that don't move as much air can actually sound like they produce more bass.

You can also use cabin gain to your advantage. Using a smaller than optimum box with a bit higher tuning will allow the woofer(s) to handle more power and, when operated at a lower wattage, last longer, distort less and still reach the lower octaves of the spectrum.

Granted, I tend to go for sound quality rather than spl, but, I have designed a lot of systems for spl as well. It's a dance with any vehicle, trucks even more so.

Steven
i know what you mean, but if the box is built right then they are fine!! the kenwood shallow mount subs only need .8 cu ft. of air space and have a peak of 1200-1400, the two 12's are not the only speakers i'll have in my cab, i'm making kick panel pods for 6 1/2's and tweeters and will have the aftermarket speakers for the center speaker that go's in the dash!! it's ready all about how it's tuned, and the components used!! you can easily over do it and it will sound like crap, every system i have but in all my cars and trucks were kenwood and you wont hear them with the doors closed or hear rattling, but inside is a different story rearview mirrors shaking, seats viberate like a massage chair!! i go for quality and middle bass, not if they can hear my system from down the street, but then again my 2000 tahoe you can hear it from about 2-3 blocks away if i turn it half way up!! but thats cuz my wife blow up the last system cuz of (country music), now theres twice the wattage and i told her if she blows this system up then she'll have only one 6 1/2" in the drivers door to hear her music!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote