The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
bigblack66

My 66 Long Bed Fleetside

Ok, been lurking for awhile. finally decided to show you guys what I'm working with. This was my Grandma's 66 Chevy. She got it i believe in 95 but not sure. When she passed in 01 my Grandpa and I went out hunting that winter and I said something about liking the truck. He told me, "Well, maybe one day I'll give it to you." I didn't hear much about it after that.

Two years later, right after I turned 13 I get a call from my Grandpa. We talk for awhile then he says, "So, did you really want that old truck?" I promptly replied yes and he told me if i wanted it, come get it. So I get my dad to take me to my grandpa's house and I received my Granny's truck, a black 1966 c-10.

I drove the truck until I was 15, then moved to town and couldn't drive it around. So it sat out at my old house for nearly 2 years.

For my 17th birthday, my mom bought me new front tires (one had rotted while sitting) a battery, and paid for the tags and insurance. So once again I was riding in my 66. I drove it for 8 months, then snapped the key that hold the harmonic balancer in place, the clutch was also almost gone, (it had never been replaced in the years my grandma had it. )So, the truck went to my grandpa's house where it sat for 5 months. Being a teenager with a pregnant girlfriend made funds pretty tight. Right before I turned 18 my family and I moved from Oklahoma to Kentucky. The truck made the trip, unfortunately it was trailered to get there, and behind a dang ford u-haul. After finding a job in Ky and being able to save some funds, I was +++++++++++finally able to get her back on the road. I LOVED IT!!! I would fly down I-24 at 100 without a hiccup in the motor. It was great.

Then one day something happened, she developed a top end "click" which was most likely a lifter. I quit driving her so much and she started to sit.

Before i turned 19 me and my girlfriend, and our new little baby, moved to our own place in Illinois. With work, a new baby, and the hassles of adult life, the old 66 was kind of neglected, and so once again, she sat.

In Nov 2010 we moved again and the worst thing happened, I went to start the 66 to move it to our new place, and the motor was knocking. Not the top end click that i was used to. No, this sounded awful. I pull the dipstick and it looked like chocolate milk?!?!

So, it has sat since 2010, but with the fire rekndled I'm ready to begin getting my truck back on the road. Next year I will have had the truck 10 years! I figure what better way to tell my truck happy anniversary then a fresh rebuilt motor, a little body work, and a new paint job.
Attached Images

bigblack66 is offline   Reply With Quote