The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #26
rfsnyder

Re: Roll-on bed liner for tub thoughts

In my earlier post... I mentioned that I used Herculiner in my Scout II. Well I just finished my 72 Blazer tub, but due to the conversation within this thread, I used Al's Liner. So now I have experience with both and here are my personal opinions/experiences:

Al's Liner:
• I brushed my entire interior - firewall, floor pans, bed, wheel wells, sidewalls, tailgate, and even the tow hitch.
• I would brush on and then "dab" to get the desired texture. The dabbing takes time, and time is critical with Al's due to chemical reaction setup time.
• I had to mixed smaller batches due to the setup time issues. Had to watch correct mixture and color.
• Al’s gets really thick toward the end of its “pot life”. If/When you try to stretch it, it gets very gummy and when I tried to dab, it actually pulls away from the surface and onto the brush. That’s when you know you are done…
• My biggest issue was with their "primer" or prep spray (adhesion promoter). This is very sticky and clogs the spray bottle after mere seconds of setting it down. Had to constantly pull nozzle and clean.
• I still have about 10 to 12 oz of mixture remaining.. Which is good, for I have some touch up areas, the gas filler tub cover and vent pipe remaining.
• Cleanup was easy… I typically mixed in a plastic painting mixing cup and then painted from the cup as well. When done, I just threw away the brush and cleaned my hands with Goof-off (works ok). As far as the mixing cup… just wait! Don’t try to clean prematurely… it just makes it worse. Wait until the material is fully curried and then it literally just peels out.

Herculiner
• I don’t recall having to manage my time as critical with Herculiner. Open the can and started brushing. No mixing, no prep spray, to time concerns.
• I brushed on in the same manner… brush then dab. Herculiner has more particles in their mix to cause more of a texture.
• I used a gallon and a quart to do my Scout II. And I think it’s a smaller bed than that of the Blazer. Could have been the thickness that I was applying as well, not sure here.
• Cleanup was tougher here… throw away the bush and the cup in which you were painting from… and you will need some serious chemicals to get if off your skin… if you are like me, you’ll just wear it proudly for about a week!

Overall
• I went with Al's due to the UV protection element... and hopefully it will remain glossy, unlike my Herculiner. The verdict is still out on this one.
• I’ve had some Al’s liner peel-away when removing taped up bolts to protect threaded mounting holes (seats, seat belts, etc.). Make sure you cut around such areas before wrenching.
• Al's feels much more "rubbery" compared to my Herculiner. Because of such, to me my Herculiner feels more durable... but I don't know how durable Al's liner is, for I just got it down. Time will tell.
• My 16 year old son (actually it’s his blazer) prefers the Al’s Liner. He feels Herculiner is too rough and tends to scratch the skin when getting in or sitting in the back next to wheel wells.

Hope this helps.
rfsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote