The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Ol John Lee gets a tune up

If you have a trusted mechanic, don't grudge him an extra hours charge to properly install plug wires. What a job. They start out clean and grey and finish up greasy and black when routed properly thru the motormounts, pan clips and up thru the wire separaters to the distributer. Passenger side bank takes the longest but at least the old Pacard wires matched up in length to the new replacments and so I laid them out on the floor and replaced them one at a time so I don't have to figure out which cylinder number goes with which cap socket...too much spacial displacment for me, just pull and replace, times 9 till done.

One at a time thats the ticket....

These two wern't doin me or Ol John Lee much good....

I expected the old plugs to be badly coked up and they were at one time. But near 6000 miles of steady driving since December 11 and some good ol fashioned ear tuneing and they for the most part burned clean and light brown on the electrodes and insulators. First and last cylinder on the drivers side had coked plugs that just couldn't burn clean so, good time to have replaced them. I suspect with the slight miss in the engine, these two cylinders prolly have the leakey valves.

But on the passenger bank, (where those two bad wires were located) all is well and the old plugs had burnt themselves clean of the coke and all light brown where it counts. So, carb must be adjusted pretty close to correct. Time tomorrow for range trip and then some break adjustments for the long ride to SC for hunting in Sept. Maybe, theres time to swap out the distributer guts and do a good retime and points adjust, but then, maybe I'll just keep drivin since its driving kinda okay.