The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
jrdecat

No start

I've got a '49 1-1/2 ton with a 235 and 3 spd tranny. I drove this truck several months ago after it sat for an unknown amount of time. Had to pull start it, but it fired up. After I discovered a massive amount of rust in the fuel tank, I discarded that and replaced it with a nice stainless steel one. Now I can't get the engine to fire at all. I have taken all of the fuel lines apart and blown them out with compressed air, but there is still no fuel getting up to the glass bowl when I try to start it. I'm guessing that is probably something to do with the fuel pump. I tried the old gas in the carb trick, but couldn't get the engine to fire that way either. That makes me think that I'm not getting any spark. New plugs, new wires, new distributor cap. I've never dealt with "points" before, so I'm not sure where to go with that.

Any suggestions for my old truck that is kinda dead in the water right now? I need to get it running so I can get it sold. People keep telling me to scrap it, but I don't have the heart to scrap a truck with such a solid cab.

Thanks!
jrdecat is offline   Reply With Quote