The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
AZ DESERT DOG

AZ DESERT DOG Project - "Shop Truck"

Well I am starting a new project this year sort of by accident… I just sold a ’55 Chevy Pro Street project that needed a complete update and overhaul… floors, cage, rear suspension, wiring, motor, transmission etc… and I was going to just wait until after the New Year before jumping back into another car but you guys and gals know how it goes… when something good comes up, you gotta jump on it. Well… I diffidently jumped on it! I picked up a 1955 Chevy Big Window Short Bed Step Side project and so it begins… my Son (21 years old) and I won’t be doing much to this truck through the end of the year but watch out come income tax return time… lol

This truck is pretty rough but it is still a good foundation to build a “Shop Truck” on. I am going to keep this one pretty simple so I can get it back on the road the beginning of the Summer hopefully. It needs new steps replaced, lower passenger door is rusted, toe boards are already playing peek-a-boo with the ground, floor pans will be replaced blah, blah, blah… I can do all that once it’s drivable. Right now, I just want to get it back on the road and start enjoying it while making the necessary repairs.

First goal that I should be able to accomplish before the end of the year is to get the tire and wheel combo done. The previous owners had already moved the leaf rear springs inboard of the frame and hacked up the bed for the 295/50-15 tires that are on it now. I am cleaning up their hack job and making larger radius wheel wells to fit a much larger tire. I am going to try and stuff some 31” x 18.5” – 15” MT tires under her and run with a set of smoothy wheels with beauty rings and caps for now. Down the road I’ll replace the stock rear end & suspension with my Ford 9” and 4-Link, then put some fancy shoes on her.

AZ DESERT DOG is offline   Reply With Quote