The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Something new I learned today..

Still learning new stuff..
So I started my 64 very early the other morning to head out for work. It was the first big frost of the year,and so I got out of the truck to let it warm up and started to scrape on the frost covering the windshield..
I heard an electrical arcing going on under the front end sounding like a bad spark plug wire.
I found the arc and it was coming from a inline oil filter located in the power steering return line.
Sparks was arcing around the filter and the corrugated cooling ribs of the filter itself in a rapid arc about 1 or 2 arcs arc per seconds and very visible in the dark and could be heard over the idling motor. Kinda looked like a mild Tesla coil as it was all around the filter case but not arcing to the frame or anything else. Just arcs from the rib to rib of the filter itself in a random pattern...

Really strange as the filter is located in totally rubber lines and hangs down by the radiator away from anything else in the area.
I have power steering , Hydroboost brakes and an in-line NAPA high micron filter designed as for use in power steering or transmission fluid applications .
Now I did a little research and found this site dealing with static electricity in hydraulic lines involving friction and filters.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...arge-hydraulic

I have never heard or seen anything like it..
Any body else run into this????

Picture is of the filter, Sparks will not show in a picture, it is too dark but I did try..
Bubba
Name:  IMG_3229.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  40.7 KB
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote