The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
thump16

Big back window conversion part 1

Most people dont wanna cut open their cab to see how it works but thanks to the over inflated egos and pices of these trucks, surgery is the only way i am gonna get a big back window cab. So here is the beginning stages of the tear down and what needs to be done to complete the conversion.
1. Brace your cab
2. grind away all the paint on inner rear cab pillars, outer cab skin inside door pillar, back lower portion of cab where inside cab floor bracing meets cab wall and there are spot welds connecting inner cab corners to outer cab corners which you will be able to see from underneath.
3. once paint is removed, I used a spot weld drill bit to remove outer cab shell. Also drill out spot welds holding inner and outer sections of rear window.
4. you should now be able to remove outer skin leaving inner wall.
5. My cab corners were toast due to tremendous amounts of fiberglass and bondo. Warning, drilling spot welds requires patience and a stable mind. lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by thump16; 11-13-2012 at 09:12 PM.
thump16 is offline   Reply With Quote