The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Talking Dana 60 swap done!

Well, it only took 16 years of the K10 ownership to finally join the front Dana 60 club and I probably still wouldn’t be a member if it wasn’t for Mosesburb and his well-tuned nose that tends to sniff out good deals of the metal variety. I never even noticed this axle on CK5 or on Craigslist. For years I searched for a Dana 60 but refused to pay $1000+ for a ragged out used axle that would have had the wrong gear ratio and probably would have had dual wheel hubs. But for $1200 it was too good to pass up being it was a brand NOS single wheel axle with the correct gear ratio (4:56) to match the rear. Good job birddog Nick! I guess you can say that I have joined the “74” club (14 bolt rear/D60 front = 74)

I have to say this was the easiest swap for such an upgrade in brute strength. Unfortunately, this upgrade in strength also means a downgrade in traction for the K10 as the outgoing Dana 44 was fitted with a Detroit TruTrac. The D60 is currently open but hope to add an ARB to the front and rear in the near future.

Fresh out of the box

This wax paper tag was wire tied to steering arm

Comparo of the D60 next to the D44 that I had just refreshed to go into the Polar Bear. The D60 is huge…and heavy!

Neat comparison picture of the D60 next to the D44. King pins vs. ball joints, different tie-rod mounting, etc

Out with the Dana 44

Crappy cell picture. Special-K and I were just chatting in another thread how handy these cheap Harbor Freight furniture dollies are for axle swaps.

After spraying some fresh paint on the leaf springs the D60 was rolled under

Used a real camera for the rest of the picture take’n

Even the driveshaft was a direct fit. I did have to score a different set of U-joint straps as the D44 uses the flat strap while the D60 uses the Ubolt type strap.

Superwinch hubs. I love these… ¼ turn to lock or unlock, durable and cost much less than Warn hubs.

ORD raise steering arm block and brake lines. I love their brake lines!

Poor ole D44 in the corner. Anybody need a good used D44? 4:56, TruTrac’d, 2 year old ball joints and all new bearings. Actually, I am thinking of pulling the TruTrac out and stuffing it in the Polar Bear Burb now that it has a D44 in the front. I would have just used this entire axle for the Burb but the 14 FF that went into the Burb was 4:10 and I didn’t feel like spending $400 to regear yet another 14 bolt to 4:56.

All that is left is to bleed the brakes, bolt on tires, drive it up and down the street to set the steering wheel then ready for the trail. Ah, wait....will probably have to add a zero rate to the rear spring packs next as the D60 will make it sit a bit taller.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote