The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Made myself laugh... After correcting the issue...

Ok, so I know that this wasnt the smartest thing I have ever done. But, I thought I would share as it is funny looking back on the situation.

Heaven was up on jackstands, all 4 wheels off and I needed to pull the rear axle to swap it out. Mind you she has no bed on her at the moment. I was working alone in the shop and the axle is a little heavy, but I came up with an ingenious plan to leave the rear trailing arms suspended from the frame by the springs and just take the rear axle out by sliding it off the back of the trailing arms... (This is where a little better attention to detail would have been a good thing)

Remember I said she was up on jackstands... Yeah, they were under the trailing arms, not the frame (Not that it would have mattered)...

So everything went well I picked up the rear axle one side at a time and sat it down on some of those wheel dollys that you would use to put under the wheels on your truck and move your truck around the shop. I thought dang this is going to be the easiest way to move the axle when I am done...

Then I noticed that the rear of my truck is no longer on the jackstands. It is hovering about 2 inches above them. I touched the frame and she sat back down, let go and she raised back up. I kind of did the freak out thing for a minute holding it down and trying to find something heavy enough to put on the frame and hold it down...

At the moment the truck has all for wheels and tires sitting on the rear of the frame "holding" it down.

Could have been a tragic disaster inside the shop... This is why I try to never get in a hurry! Thought you all might like to hear about my eventful weekend! LMAO
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote