The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
TRUK

SoCal Newbie -- Back in the Saddle

Hello 1st Gen K5 Brethren (and Sisters),

I Didn't see anywhere for specific for Newbie's to introduce them selves... Life story to follow. Promise future posts won't be so long.

I'm back in the K5 saddle again after 10 long years. I bought my first K5, a Black '71, in 1982... dropped in a new 350, rebuilt the th350 and proceeded to break and rebuild pretty much everything under the truck at least once (with much help from a buddy).

Having FUN! Never mind the rust holes in the wheel wells, rockers, and full length scratches through the paint, revealing the original blue color. It's Beast... meant to be beaten!

Moved from Michigan to CA after HS Graduation with all my belongings packed in the back. After a few years I found a rust-free Green '72 with no motor, rear end or top. I combined the two into one solid truck (except for the hard top of course) Did this in 1990. It was like Yin and Yang the way the two trucks fit together. Everything bad on one was new or still good on the other. (I have a picture somewhere of the 71/72 yin-yang next to the corpse... I'll look for it)

Blew up the motor in 1992, 2 weeks before moving from NoCal to SoCal... had to sell it.

Regretted it ever since... until now. Spent the last year or so searching for a mostly restored 1st Gen that I could afford. Let a couple slip through my fingers, looked at many that were too much money and not very well restored, and finally found "The One".

This '72 has a rebuilt 350 with about 5000 miles on it, solid th350 trans and np205. The paint is nearly perfect. Interior fully restored. Nice rally wheels and 32" BFG's. New radiator and hoses. New rubber, visors, mouldings, you name it.

I have had it about a month now. I installed some Headman headers, had a local carb guru hook me up with a totally dialed in q-jet and realigned all the body so she is nice and straight.

Next is to decide what to do with the stock suspension. That is one of the reasons why I am here. Later... I'll be restoring the engine compartment (only thing left undone by the seller).

I am stoked that I found this forum. I'm looking forward to participating and hope to get lots of good advise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TRUK is offline   Reply With Quote