The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
72CampSpecial

New to forum & Rochester Carb Issues

Hello-- Im new to the forum and wanted to say HI...I recently purchased a 1972 C20 Custom Camper, 350 V8, Quadrajet Carb and 350 AT. Ill post a pic later..was in decent shape, new tires, good exhaust, bench seat is intact. pretty straight body and the price was right ($1000)

Carb # 17057512 (i think..the first 5 # are almost not readable)

Thus far: Changes the AT pan gasket, new wires, plugs, adjusted the timing and reinstalled the choke coil spring properly (i think). Choke plate (integral choke) now snaps shut when i tap the throttle first thing in the AM. (didnt close at all prior to me pulling the coil spring off and re-installing.. i dont think it was hooked on the tang (?) inside the choke housing). i pulled the vacuum line off the choke pull off, depressed it and plugged the line and the choke pull off stays down (so i believe its working right?) And visually at first start up have watched it flutter (pull in) back and forth. I dont think the carb has even been re-built.

Issue: Now it turns over instantly first thing in the morning, but after about 10-15 seconds it starts to gargle/hesitate.. i dont think the choke plate is opening at all after it starts (choke pull off issue?)..if i flutter the gas peddle just right i can keep it running and after 20-30 seconds she will idle on her own w/no issue. If i dont get the gargle to stop it dies and then i have a heck of a time getting it to restart.

Once its idle for a few minutes and i drive away i have a huge flat spot in the carb at low speeds and the carb "Pops" (like a back fire.. but not the loud bang out the tail pipe) when its cold.. for at least the first 10-15 min of driving if i try to accelerate fast.

After she is good and warm the engine responds good, but lacks any real power. I can mash the pedal and get it to shift gears and get some speed, but for a V8 its very sluggish.

...So, where do i start?? Ive been reading all the manuals i can find, and thinking that i need to figure out how to get the carb back to some sort of a starting point.
72CampSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote