The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
tp85

mixed surfaces underchassis coating dilemma - what will ADHERE best?

Ok, blazer tub tipped, plus many days of scraping the underchassis. Next I am going to use some solvent cleaner, abrasive disks, wire wheels, and more solvent cleaners. Sandblasting is not an option. No matter how hard I try, there will be plenty nooks and crannies that will be unscrapped and too dirty for paint to adhere. It is going to be impossible to get everything paintable squeaky clean...thick oil, dirt, cracked undercoating, waxy slime, and what ever else they spray in farm country to prevent rust.

As you can see in the photos, I have a mix of surfaces ----- surface rust, OE painted, new patches, and bare metal. On rusted areas, I will use a rust converter first.

My big question is what will adhere best --- 3M undercoating or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator (or POR 15)? It seems to me that Rust Encapsulator is like a paint and will likely peel if the surface is not squeaky clean. In contrast, I would like to think a 'tar-like' undercoating would adhere better on less than optimally clean surfaces. Is this correct?

For fear of Rust Encapsulator or equivalent peeling within a short period, I am leaning towards just treating rusty areas with a rust converter, and then using 3M undercoating everywhere (bare metal, painted surfaces, rust converted areas, etc.). What do you guys think?

tp85 is offline   Reply With Quote