The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
skorpioskorpio

Re: Definitions of words I only see in this site

I've actually been surprised how little specific lingo speak there is on this board. I also restore old bikes and on the AdvRider Forum they have some really strange ones, like "205" which means someone reposted something that has been posted before, apparently some picture from a post, post number 205, of some topic long ago, and nobody seems to even remember what post, was frequently reposted by new users, so that repeat picture posts became referred to as "205".

The other one that stumped me for the longest time was ATGATT which means "All The Gear All The Time" referring to people that ride wearing, or not wearing, head to toe safety gear (helmet, boots, some sort of leather or ballistic suit, etc..).

Anyway, "repop" is likely a term that came out of the Midwest as the word "pop" is used all the time for all kinds of things there. Pop can be a carbonated beverage (a can of pop), or it can be used to describe going somewhere, "Honey, I'm gonna pop over and see what Bob's up to", It can be used to describe the production of an item, "They are just popping those things out over there". Hmm, maybe it has something to do with corn growing regions.

NOS and OEM are common industry terms, NOS meaning a part a part that has discontinued production but is an unused surviving item, this is not the same as a part for an old vehicle that is still being produced. The seemingly overly complicated "Original Equipment Manufacture" has to do with a lot of parts being produced for the manufacturer by a supplier but not necessarily by the manufacturer, like Dana, Eaton, Hurst making original parts for GM cars to GM specifications but these parts were not produced by GM itself.

IMHO has been used in technical circles (as in computer people) for decades, at least 30 years, it was actually abbreviated to appear more "humble" and not really to save typing effort. Early on it was typically used mostly in calling someone out or defending yourself when the validity of facts were in question, or you were trying to state a personal opinion and not a verifiable fact. It absolutely meant "Humble" and not "Honest" for the first 20 years of it's usage.

IIRC is interesting in that it has somehow evolved into an acronym that is something completely different from where it started. At one time it was an acronym name of a software program for the implementation of Internet Relay Chat. It has no long term usage in tech circles that I am aware of.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote