The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
jrblanke

Spent some time with the new '85 today, including a shakedown trip

I took the bug sheild, bumper stickers, and kenco running boards off the truck today, then drove the truck 32 miles to work. The drive was kind of a shake down trip to learn more about it's over all condition. What stuff worked, what stuff didn't work, any strange noises, etc.

The radio works pretty good. Freebird came on the radio, that was awesome. The drivers side mirror is a little loose which created a really annoying vibration at idle. Not really a big deal.

The only disturbing thing I found (besides a loose mirror), was this horrindous noise that seemed to come from the front of the transmission hump in the floor. It sounded like a grinding...WWHAAAGGGGGGG. It only happened when I was sitting still and nailed the gas. It seemed to be more violent when I had the wheel turned to take a 90 degree turn. At first I thought it was torque converter/transmission related, but now I am thinking that it is a loose motor mount or transmission mount that is allowing something to touch something else when it shouldn't. I am going to do some looking tomorrow to see if my fan has been hitting the shroud or the drive shaft hitting something.

I will update tomorrow night with what I find
jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote