The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
myyamr7

New project, Christmas gift to myself.

After searching for a few months, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a truck. 1971 lwb c10 Cheyenne, 350 engine, 350 trans, factory air, power steering and brakes. The truck is in great shape and the PO told me even the paint was original.
The bed is solid, no rot that I could find. But there is some rust starting to show from under the trim moldings. The only thing that bothers me is the cover that's on it, and the snap rings screwed into the bed. It's in good condition, I just rather see the body lines on the bed rails.
The frame has minor surface rust here and there, but nothing that looks like scale or rot.
The cab needs both rockers, some minor cab corner work, 1 floor support bracket, a small spot near the brake booster, and some work around one of the lower tabs that holds the bottom of the front fender on.
One of the doors is solid, the other has a small corner starting to rot, and the bottom has a few small holes.
Both front fenders need the bottom sections near the cab replaced and both inner fenders look to be ok. Even the radiator support has only minor surface rust showing.
The hood has rot on the front, which I found odd. The PO gave me another hood with the truck that is rot free, so one less item to replace.
Everything except the AC works. The PO told me over this last summer, the AC worked, but I couldn't get the compressor to kick on? Or am I wrong in guessing it works like a newer AC compressor?
The 350 was replaced about 5 years ago with a GM Goodwrench engine and runs awesome. 350 transmission also shifts nice and has nice clean looking red fluid. The truck drives great and goes down the road better than the 06 ford (puke) that I'm driving at the moment.

My plan is for a frame off restoration, but I'll probably drive it for a while first and just do little things to it, as it looks presentable as is. I'm thinking first up, some Rally Sport wheels, center caps and trim rings. Also, I don't like the rear step bumper, I'll probably buy a chrome bumper and the new brackets.

I'll try and get some pics up.
Thanks for looking
myyamr7 is offline   Reply With Quote