The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Longhorn 70

70 C20 front drum to disc conversion

I have asked a few questions about front disc and rear drum stud size and that kind of thing. BTW thanks for the help to all that have replied to my questions.

I bought a drum to disc conversion kit from Tucker. The parts came in about 4 weeks. I have 71 spindles with after market 71 calipers. Heavy duty rotors that look like the C30 or HD C20 rotors. They included new tie rod ends and sleeves also.

CONS: The bearings say CHINA on them
wrong upper ball joints in the kit that look like C10 joints.
Some of the nuts included in the wrong ball joint kit were wrong thread pitch.
It appears the inner tie rod ends are also incorrect due to weird taper.

PROS: Nice finish on the spindles and calipers.
HD Rotors look nice and don't say China on them nor do the calipers
Banjo fitting on hoses look nice, don't know where hoses are made though.

Problems I experienced during the uninstall/reinstall were....
The lower ball joint didn't want to seperate. Not by banging the spindle or with the aid of a pickle fork. An hour of pounding proved fruitless. On to removing the backing plate.
ONE of the backing plate bolts were frozen in the old spindle. 2 hours later I had it out with a lot of air hammering, prayer, impact wrenching, more prayer, KroilŪ, and prayers of thanks when I finally got that bolt out. I was going to take the old shoes off the backing plate and then I remembered if I wedge something in between the backing plate and spindle I'll have enough clearance to take the plate off. NOW bang that pickle fork in at a different angle and voile' the lower ball joint did what I wanted and the spindle was off.

I have one side done and the right side is next. I guess I'd forgotten how stubborn some old bolts can be. I wish the garage was bigger so I could work on it inside.

I'll post results when complete.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote