The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
WadmalawJoe

Need some help on How to install an HEI distributor

Thanks for all the advice on should I swap to an HEI distributor. Now I need a little help with the procedure.
I looked around online and it looks like a local auto part store (Pepboys) has a MSD Street Fire HEI distributor in stock. Comes with a 1 year warranty and is $145. Here is the link http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9975109/00038/

So I will pick it up later today unless I get a heck no don't go! from someone on here. I know there are some less expensive ones out there, but I like that this has a one year warranty.

Here is my current set up;

I see there is a newer looking yellow wire coming into the coil. I need to see if that has already been upgraded to 12v, the voltage needed for the HEI system and I need to make sure its only hot when the key is on correct?

Also, to make sure things go a little easier I need to turn motor over until its on the #1 cylinder THEN pull out the old distributor.
Actually what is the easiest way to get to and know that I am on #1 cylinder and on the correct stroke? The reason I ask this is because I have a horrible time with my farm tractor. It has a three cylinder gas motor and when I think I have it on #1 and on the correct stroke I put the distributor in and crank it up and I am always off 180 degrees because it will backfire like a son of a gun and I will have to pull the distributor back out spin rotor 180 and put it back in and whala she runs.

On the new distributor; is there a rotor that needs to point to #1 as I put the distributor in or??

Thanks!

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I知 back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote