The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
turp23

Looking for a project

Happy New Year to all. I have passed through on occasion, now I am ready to get serious. I was hoping some experienced members could give me a gentle push in one direction or another. I have been around cars all of my life, and spent most of my grammar school summers in my Uncle's body shop. I did not do much more than strip paint, but I am hoping the smell of bondo and paint seeped into my blood.I have spent the past few years on project cars as a commuter for gas mileage. My wife is tired of me jumping from project to project, so I have decided I will build what I want and forget about mpg .

My biggest battle is whether or not I should go with a short bed or long bed. The short bed really lights my fire. I have no welding skills, other than mig welding two pieces of metal together. Short of welding, I can turn wrenches. I would like to build a motor, but I am not sure which motor or trans I want to go with. I am leaning towards the short bed, and my only other requirment would be a/c. It is really hot here!

My intention is to lower the truck, and have a rock solid motor and tranny. Cosmetically, I would like to go with a sleeper theme. All I need is a solid body, not a rust bucket. Any suggestions or advice on how to shop for one would be greatly appreciated. If someone wants to mention pros and cons on the shortbed vs longbed I would be ok with that too.

Sorry for the long post.
turp23 is offline   Reply With Quote