The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
torchlight

AD resto-mod; Folks, can I ask your thoughts on Horsepower?

Hey folks, would like to ask for a little discussion on horsepower/torque needs. It is time for me to start doing some preliminary planning regarding engine assembly, and I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions. I don't have much experience with this kind of thing myself.

First a quick rundown of the truck/project. Truck is a 53 3100. Been in the shop for a few months now going for a full frame off rebuild. End result will keep body/interior mostly stock appearance - some updates, but nothing radically changing the character of the truck. Underneath, a complete modern update - ifs, 4-bar rear, disc brakes, new motor, auto transmission.

When finished, the truck will be babied a bit, but will not be a 'show queen.' Sure, will go to some shows, but will drive there, no trailers here. Truck will be stored during winter, but regularly driven during warm weather. Cruise nights and errands around town. Maybe a drive down to Iowa once in a while.

I don't see the truck ever being raced or going to a drag strip. So you can see it needs to have nice manners for cruising and driving around. However, I do want it to have some grunt under the hood. Would like to be able to get into the gas pedal and get pushed back in the drivers seat with a grin on my face.

Problem is, I've never really driven a higher-horsepower vehicle, so I don't have a sense for how much HP I should be targeting with the motor build. So here I am - what are your thoughts? With the weight of the AD truck, if this was your project, and you wanted it to have some real nice get-up-and-go without making it tough to handle on the street - what would you hope for on HP or torque numbers?

Oh, engine will start as an LS 5.3L with a carb intake. Transmission is TH350 with a Gear Vendors overdrive (don't want to have a tranny computer). Rear end is 9 inch Ford, but I haven't chosen a gear ratio yet. Will be 15 inch wheels with 30 inch tires.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device
torchlight is offline   Reply With Quote