The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
moregrip

my C20 build thread

The start:

The rough plan:

OK, I think I've got some details together......still researching but a plan is forming.........as you might expect at this stage everything is subject to change, however, one of my goals is that nothing on this build is going to be spendy if I can help it. Ideally I'd like to re-use the things I already own or keep the stuff I have to buy on a solid budget without cheaping out.

Exterior-I will most likely be doing all bodywork and paint myself. What does that mean? Kiss. Unless I get inspired the plan is to go with a solid color. Haven't decided if I'll keep the trim or not. Probably something like Summits paint system or Duplicolors Paint Shop stuff or equivalent. Still thinking about what bumpers I'll use, if any, and finish.

Interior-Ditching the bench seat and going with some buckets from either Scat or Corbeau. Price will most likely be the decider or just being able to drive to one of them to find a seat I like. Probably incorporate a center jump-seat of some kind or console. Will install the Clifford Alarm I have laying around with a mild sound system (thinking one set of components and a subwoofer). Use the 3 hides of leather I have had forever on the interior, think dash/doors/headliner/sun visors.

Suspension: Nothing high dollar. Obtain a late model disc brake equipped 14bolt 10.5" FF axle. Convert it for use on the C20; Install the Eaton Posi-traction I have laying around (thinking 4.56 gears). Use the late model Hotchkis drop leaf springs I have laying around and mount them inline with the frame (think BIG tires) with a flip kit and C-Notch or whatever it takes. Mount shocks outboard of the frame rails, install factory sway bar (urethane bushings). Front suspension will be Made in the USA drop spindles and springs, factory sway bar/urethane bushings. looking at around a 5-6/7-8 static drop total or whatever it turns out to be.

Frame/Bed: Cut and weld longbed to shortbed. Cut and weld frame 14" to fit the shortbed. Depending on how the bed turns out, may purchase new bedsides (TBD)

Body: Haven't made up my mind on a stock or cowl induction hood. The condition of the stock hood will most likely be the decider. Would love one piece side windows but that may not be in the budget. Would love installing the rear window more like the late model stuff (i.e. no rubber boot) but that may also not be in the budget. Will probably ditch the molding/trim pieces as it's cheaper to get rid of them than replace. custom license plates are on order!

Drivetrain: Will be the Magnacharged LQ4/4L80e combo I already have. A friend of mine and myself built the motor back in 2005 at West Coast Racing Cylinder Heads in the SFV. Super strong, but needs some cosmetic tlc. the 4l80 was built by Art Carr in Huntington Beach, CA.....great guy!

I guess the one high$$ thing I'd like would be a Gear Vendors overdrive but if that ever happens it won't be anytime soon.

that's it for now. I'm new to the squarebody community so any help/advice/critique/whatever is much appreciated.
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote