The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
doubleb's69

dual snorkel air cleaner how to.

I already now it has been done and there is another thread on the site that shows pics but I thought I would share the pictures and what I used to make it for anyone who wants to do it themselves. A buddy of mine just built a 383 for his 72 C/10 and wants to make it look stockish and wondered if I would build him one so here is how I did it. There are probably a million ways to do it and different tools to use but these are the ones I used to get to my end result.

Parts list: two air cleaners you don't mind cutting up.

Tool list: drill, cut off wheel, 1/8 inch drill bit, 1 & 1/2 inch hole saw, wire wheel, a vise if you have one, mig welder, die grinder with a carbide bit, vise grips, small screw driver or chisel, and a small hammer.

I started by putting the worst of the two air cleaners in a vise. I then put the 1/8th inch drill bit in the drill and slowly drilled out the factory spot welds. There is one on each corner or 4 total.

After drilling I used a small screw driver and a hammer to lightly pry up the air horn from the air cleaner.

I then drilled out the two spot welds that hold the heat valve to the air horn. I also used the screw driver and hammer to help remove this on both air horns. (This is optional but he wanted it to be smooth.) After breaking the valve loose I wiggled it around to unhook the rod from the flap inside of the air horn and removed the valve all together. I then cut off the end of the rod that runs from either side and pulled it through to remove the valve from within.

After all of the the removal of parts on the air horn I mocked up the general location to make sure all was right and it would work.
Attached Images