The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Front bumper junk yard restoration. WOW!

I bought an original front bumper off a '67 at the junk yard this week. Structurally, it was in good shape, but the chrome was dull and it had some 40 year old insurance company bumper stickers on it. I bought it anyway, and decided for $45, it was worth the gamble, seeing as repro bumpers are $150 plus $50 for shipping, and likely won't be as heavy as an original chevy bumper. I've also heard the chrome can be iffy.

So, I started out by removing the bumper stickers with a heat gun and a plastic putty knife. Got the remaining sticky stuff off with some GoofOff and a rag. Next I washed it with some dawn soap, hot water, and a rag. Followed that with Eagle One Neverdull. Then I used some Mothers chrome polish and the drill attachment shown

As I removed the haze from the polish with a rag, I could not believe how nice and shiny the chrome is!

Too bad I didn't take a before shot, but I think you can tell from the after shot that this turned out quite well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Mister-B; 01-26-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote