The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
jocko

K10 vs K20 - a few questions:

Good evening gents - I've been reviewing a few prior threads on this question and would like to get a little more info if someone could help.

I've read that:
a) 1/2t and 3/4t trucks' frames have a different section modulus (3/4t being greater)
and
b) that 4x4 trucks used the same frame...

So, is it the case that 1/2t and 3/4t 2WD trucks have a different section modulus and that 4x4's used a common 1/2t frame (i.e. 1/2t frame on the 3/4t truck)? Which would be the case? Conflicting info out there.

Also, my understanding is that while the k10 would have a 12 bolt rear end and the k20 would have either an eaton or D60, that BOTH k10 and k20 would have a dana 44 front axle - except that the 3/4t dana 44 is "beefier"... Can someone shed some light on that statement? i.e. define "beefier"?

Also, understand that the rear springs have a few more leafs on the 3/4t vs 1/2t(?)

Any other major differences I'm missing?

I'm kinda sorta lookin at a k10 - but had previously had my mind set that I would wait and find a k20. The more I research, I am not sure there is a whole lot of difference in capability - at least not as much as the difference between a c10 and c20, for example.

So, interested in your thoughts. Also interested how many folks out there run a snow blade on a k10 - and whether it seemed sufficient, etc. I would potentially be running a plow - private use, nothing major, but also wondering ifa k10 is sufficient to that task. I know many have done it in the past, I grew up around k10s plowing. But back then, I didn't know the difference. Guess I still don't!

Thanks for your time.
jocko
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote