The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Russ.W.

Inline 6 (250) Starter compatibility ???

G'day all ... I need to get a new starter for my recently acquired 250, but am having a hard time pinning down what's what. For reference, vehicle is a 250 with 3 speed manual.

Being in Australia, and the 250 not being used in any production car down here, I can't just walk into the local parts store as they won't have one.

As I understand it, there are 3 different mounting possibilities? 3 bolt, 2 bolt, and 2 bolt staggered. Is that correct? This is the first time I've seen a 250 in the flesh, so I'm only going by what I've read doing searches here over the past few hours.

My starter is the 3 bolt into the bell-housing, like this: (image jacked from this post here, as mine is filthy)

The only places I can find that sell these new (not re-manufactured), are eBay sellers DB Electrical, as well as Discount Starters & Alternators.

Does anybody have any experience with either sellers or the product? Are they really new or also re-manufactured? Quality or junk?

On to the next part of the query .. for the starters that don't mount like the above, but mount to the block, I understand that not all inline blocks are drilled for them - correct?

Does anybody have an image of that area of the block without the starter attached, showing the holes required and their location?

I got under my car and had a quick look, but can't see much with the old starter still on (plus it's a complete mess under there), and I can't get back to it until Monday. I did manage to snap off a quick iPhone pic - is this one of the required holes for the different mount starters?

If so, I'm looking at the AC Delco 3371015, but there's no mention of it being for Auto or Manual. Can anybody confirm either way?

If it's no the right part, can anybody jot down what part number I should be looking for?

Sorry for the long windedness. I've been reading posts on the subject for over 4 hours straight, going around in circles with no clear result - and at this point my eyes are swimming.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Russ
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote