The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Good job on the small version.
I've been gathering rolls of tape for when "Bompenstein" gets to that stage.
Looks great keep it up.
Thanks! Get good tape. The stuff at the typical hardware store for painting in the house does not stick as good as the auto grade stuff. I get mine through a local auto body supply place and at the body shop I waste time at.

This morning I worked on getting the side molding holes filled. I wasn't gonna weld up 3/8" holes because I don't think I'm good enough to do it without too much heat and warpage. Plan B is my old friend panel adhesive. I did the same thing to holes in the floor of my truck cab. I cleaned up the back side with some 40 grit and wiped it down with wax/grease remover. I cut some 1" squares from some scrap and cleaned them up the same way. A rough grit helps scratch the surface for the adhesive to grip to. Then just apply the adhesive with a little brush and stick on my patches to the back side. All I have to do is clean up the outside a bit, a touch of filler and sand smooth. No weld hole patches.

Then I finished stripping paint from the bed rail, cleaned that off and sprayed the remaining bare metal with epoxy primer. Not without complications though. Got everything ready, poured the primer into the gun and pulled the trigger. Nothing but air. Turns out I suck at cleaning my spray gun.

Pour the primer back out, disassemble, completely this time, and get some brushes through it. It was a pain, but I fixed it and learned another lesson.

Maybe later today I'll go back out and do some filler work. I'd like to get that done and spray the G2 primer over this side before the weekend is done.

Oh yeah, I also pulled the roll bar out. It was in the way, but I want to cut off the feet and redo those to fit the floor better.

On another note... My wife has been working out a lot, trying to get back her girlish figure (it's working, daddy is happy). This morning she had a workout class that was based on MMA/kick boxing and came home smiling and happy, she loved it. Then said she was going to do another one at 5 am tuesday, to which I responded in a negative way. (guess who is a light sleeper)

So tip of the day, to you fellas, young and old alike that haven't learned this lesson yet. If your first response is not encouraging and supportive, shut the hell up.

That is all.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote