The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
hey murph, pan back for me please sir... i get hung-up with the detail stuff on your build ( which i really dig) but i'm kinda losing sight of the big picture.

time to see the truck as a whole vehicle again. as complete as it is...one perfect picture of where you are on the build. taken from that stool in the corner. you know... that stool we all have.
I will see what I can do for you Clem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Awesome Vid... glad I got to watch finally! Stay warm and keep building, between you and Bomp, it keeps me drudging through this move and anxiously awaiting the return to my build.
Yeah sadly the original song was the theme from Mortal Kombat, and each time the "Mortal Kombat!!" was called in the song is when the T-shirts would pop up.
I thought it was quite clever, I guess EMI disagrees....

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_l View Post
Love the video. Nothing like a little friendly competition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure if we are competing per`se, but corroborating on finding entertaining ways of sharing our builds with you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 View Post
Nice video, you guys crack me up! Hope you are staying warm. We got hit hit with like 2 feet of snow Friday into sat. I have had enough lol. Don't know how you do it buddy. Must have the heat cranking in there!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I keep pretty warm....creature comforts are pretty high on my list when it comes to getting work done !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a View Post
thanks it worked that time
You are welcome, hope you liked it !!

****************************************************************************************

So I bit the bullet and got the exhaust manifolds that I was swooning over.

Monday night I tossed them in the oven and after it reached the 500 degree setting, I cooked them for an extra 20 min.
Kinda smoked up the kitchen a bit in the doing, but....

Then one by one I hustled them down to the garage to a spindle I had set up and shot them with the 500-1300 VHT paint. I did this with my Tempest and have been very pleased with the results.

Then last night, while I was waiting for paint to dry on other projects (I usually have 2-3 or 4 in the works at a time due to dry times, and limited "play" times during the week) I figured I could slap these one the motor and check that box.....

The p-side went on without a hitch other than the realization that I would have to reroute my heater hose which came out of the block just above the oil pan, between the starter and the fuel pump.
No biggie there, I actually think I am going to like this hose set up better anyways.

The d-side on the other hand was a nightmare.
A 5 minute job ended up consuming most of my "play time" yesterday after work with a mod that I did not anticipate having to make in order to accomodate this particular exhaust.

The problem ended up being the header flange conflicted with the motor mount to the point where it would not bolt up to the engine.

Here is the cut to the motor mount I had to make. I left the edges shiny for the photos so you could see better. Just for good measure I notched my frame mount as well.
I dont want the muffler guy cussing me later.
Name:  11feb13 exhaust manifold mod (1).jpg
Views: 680
Size:  43.4 KB

A bit of a close up for you to see just how far back I had to cut this sucker !!
Name:  11feb13 exhaust manifold mod (4).jpg
Views: 668
Size:  34.1 KB

Hopefully I notched the frame mount good enough as well....
Name:  11feb13 exhaust manifold mod (5).jpg
Views: 666
Size:  46.9 KB

Here it is finally all bolted up, with about 1/16" of clearance between the header flange and the mount.
Not much I know, but I didnt want to cut this in the first place....
Name:  11feb13 exhaust manifold mod (8).jpg
Views: 662
Size:  39.4 KB

And here it is from the underside.
I gotta tell you this was a bit of a frustrating chore, but I got it done and in the end I am sure I will be happy with what I have done here.... well .... until I twist my engine off its mounts of course !!
Name:  11feb13 exhaust manifold mod (11).jpg
Views: 668
Size:  42.5 KB

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote