The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
cericd

Need Help Getting Her On The Ground (Suspension Noob)

So, I've got this 1970 SWB 4x2 C10 that's pretty much in 40+ year old factory condition. I got it because the body looked nice and it is mostly unmolested. Well, it's time to tear into the suspension but I'm a total noob. I've been doing a lot of research on here but I want to be sure I'm headed in the right direction before I order any parts. I see alot of guys doing the suspension multiple times just to end up with what they wanted in the first place.

I'm planning more of a restomod type of build. I want to keep the all-factory look but at a lower ride height. I'm mostly concerned with handling and not having to worry about every little bump or pothole (if that's possible). I like a slight rake like gringoloco's C10. I am planning to run 15x7 and 15x8 rallies until I scrape up the cash for rims. Even then, I don't really want to go bigger than 18"s like on SactoJim's truck (totally dig his stance too). I also like the stance of the Holley Shop Truck. It seems to have a fairly uncomplicated suspension setup. I did notice that they used coilovers in the rear instead of springs and shocks and that the raised the bed a few inches.

Truck Stats:
1970 C10 Fleetside SWB
Rear End - Wider 71-72 (currently 6-lug)
Engine - 1973 307 V-8

After my research I still have these concerns and would like to avoid them by doing things right the first time:
1. Pinion angle and carrier bearing issues (possible fix PB trailing arm crossmember or ECE crossmember with brackets flipped?)
2. Front and rear wheels being centered in the wheel wells (this is a must!)
3. Lower control arms scraping the ground (I've heard that this is the biggest issue since they sit so low)

Any insight on how to do this right the first time or stuff I'm missing is greatly appreciated. I'm ready to get this stuff done.

Thanks
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote