The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
brandoncpm

Good Deal? Or Great Deal?

Hey guys, I have a 69 chevy K20 4x4 with a 350 and a 4spd in it. I love the truck, but want it to be a daily driver that gets much better mileage than it currently does. I have always wanted to do a diesel conversion on one of these trucks but want to stay away from the larger, heavier cummins conversion that I have seen done. So.......I began a search for a chevy 6.2 diesel to swap in as my research seems to show me that is is pretty much a bolt in swap for the 350 and hardly weighs any more but seems to get between 18-22 mpg. Also, the price is usually right for these motors as a lot of people don't seem to like them due to their lack of horsepower. I don't want the truck to be a race car I just want a really cool commuter that I can still go hunting and haul my stuff around in. I recently found an 83 chevy k20 diesel 4x4 with the 6.2 and a 4spd auto that is not currently running. The owner is a kid who bought the truck and wanted to do a project and hop up the motor. He took the top end apart and lost interest apparently and now the truck is sitting in a shop with the intake manifold and the valve covers off but in nearly running condition. The truck also has an 8" or so all spring lift, a Banks Turbo kit and a lot of other aftermarket mods. He only wants $1500 for it and I want to run down and buy it tomorrow, the wife thinks I'm crazy. I know it's a great deal and could part it out for way more than that if needed, but my plan is to steal all the diesel parts I need out of that truck and swap my 350 into it and then sell it and recover my initial investment and then some. What do you think? Opinions from others who have done similar projects would be appreciated. Thanks.
brandoncpm is offline   Reply With Quote