The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
pbjsammich

Need some carb help/advice, Edelbrock 1405

Hoping some carb guru's might be able to help me out with the issue I've been having.

Just swapped my inline 6 for a Goodwrench 350. Bought a new 1405 and haven't been able to get it running right yet. The carb is sputtering out fuel at idle. Engine runs, but barely. Obviously running quite rich.

I'm on my 3rd fuel pump now. Bought the first and then realized it was running too high a pressure (Edelbrock suggests 6psi max). I bought a cheapie that advertised this pressure range, only to find out it was running much higher. Out of frustration, I finally just bought the Edelbrock street pump specifically designed to run these carbs. I haven't checked the pressure on this pump yet as I don't have the right fittings in hand to run a gauge. All 3 pumps and no change.

I've adjusted the floats twice, cleaned out the needle and seat each time. Each time I haven't noticed anything that would cause the flooding issue.

I walked through the float adjustment with Edelbrock on the phone. Got it back together last night and no luck.

Long story short, am I dealing with a bum carb here or could there be other issues? Had several friends verify I have it installed correctly and even walked through the float adjustment with me. Could a vacuum leak cause this condition?

I'm far from a carb expert. Just looking for advice. Quite frustrated as I finally have her back together and my brand new carb is acting up on me!!!!