The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Gregsenne

SM465 shifting question

I have a 86 K20 with a 79 SM465.

I'm having problems with getting into first gear. (When I say first, my shift knob says L-1-2-3-R) And I know its a common problem with these transmissions, but there has to be something I can do....

At a complete stop, I can get into granny easier than first, so I sometimes find myself shifting to granny for a split second, then to first. I can always get into first if I play with the clutch enough. But sometimes, it's just faster to do granny, then to first at about 3 mph.

Unless I shift from granny to first, I cannot get into first gear unless completely stopped. Let's say I'm coming to a stop light and the light turns green when I'm almost stopped. I either have to put it in 2nd and rev the engine/ride the clutch until it's to speed, or come to a complete stop, and then put it in first. Same happens when going around a turn. I usually turn onto a road, and stop completely, then take back off. Major pain in the butt.

I know my gears are too tall, I'm working on changing that. It has 3.73 gears with 35" tires.

I took the entire trans apart before I installed it and inspected everything, everything looked good. I just broke a pressure plate finger, so I'm about to take the trans out again. If there's something I need to do inside the trans, now would be the perfect time!

Thanks for the help.

Greg
Gregsenne is offline   Reply With Quote