The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
hamad

Is it worth the price ? Please help !

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is having a great week

Lets get down to business

I have a couple of questions

I have a 1987 gmc stepside. It's running on a 454 and sm465 tranny. It runs perfect but i get really terrible fuel mileage, and its not that strong or fast. It has 300 RWHP and 330 pounds of tq. I have looking to do a LS1 swap. I first thought of getting a LQ9 or an lS2 in there. Then i checked the prices on the swap.... hmmm... I have no experience at all so i went to a local shop here in tempe and was told that it would take 7000$ just for the labour to do the swap, all the fabrication and custom tune + harness, the whole nine yards. thats pretty expensive for me! I went to another shop and got a quote for 4000$. But this guy said just get me the motor and i'll take care of the rest (knowing that i wanna keep my sm465). To be honest thats out of my budget. doing it myself is out of the question because i have zero experience. So I started researching through this forum and other LS forums and found a cheaper way that i wasn't aware of. This was carbed LS motors. No wiring involved, no fuel work involved (replacing gas tank or pumps or fuel lines etc.) Was i started researching the idea and realized that to run a carbed LS, i had to buy the intake, carb, MSD 6012, and motor mouts. Sounds pretty straight forward doesnt it?. So i started researching and stumbled upon a motor. Its a 5.3 That is already carbed, but never installed after the conversion. It's cammed (edelbrock 2215) and comes with a LS conversion motor mounts, electric fuel pump, flywheel adapter and all the motor accessorise (Power steering, water pump, alternator, starter, compressor, steering pump, coils and all brackets and pulleys. The only thing thats missing according to him is the MSD. The man is asking 1500. Is that a good deal? Is that all i need or is there something else missing? I know that i'm asking alot but i really need some help.

The other question is, do u guys think the 5.3 is a strong enough motor, or should i go with a 6.0. This is the main this that is stopping me from going for it, i always wanted a 6.0 but this deal looks solid to me.

sorry for all the questions but i know i'll get the info i need.

Thank you in advance Hamad
hamad is offline   Reply With Quote