The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2003, 10:52 PM   #1
69ChevySB
dropped69

breaking in motor

hi i just got my new tranny and motor in and my truck is cruising, it shifts very nice and sounds good...the only problem is when i am going there is a sort of tapping sound when i accelerate and then it stops and gets slower when i idle...its not very loud but i can still hear it, do you think it may be one of the rocker arms, a small exhaust manifold leak, or maybe my timing is off... its at about 10 degrees advanced, but some people say set it until it stops pinging or knocking, is that the noise that they are referring to? also how should i go about breaking in my motor...

some people say get on it and drive it like you want and some people say after the first 500 miles then its ready to rock
what do you guys prefer. should i atleast change the tranny fluid and oil after 250 miles?i use supreme gas its a 350/400
should i just cruise and keep it under 2500 rpms for 500 miles or what any help would be nice thanks.