The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
BC Toy chest

Re: My Pro Street '56 GMC Pick'em Up

Working on getting a lower stance, C-notching the frame and rear suspension mods. There is a lot more pictures to post, only post a few for now and lots more work to be done. some of the pictures are just mock up only and everything comes back out. Last thing to be done is to finish boxing the bed portion of the frame.

The NoLimit rear leaf springs, Posie Sliders brought it down a little more then I anticipated, but got a fix for that and may have to do some minor mods to my rear shock cross member. The springs are reversed eye on the rear and standard eye on the front and are designed with a different spring rate capacity from the OE to give you that down in the weeds stance. Now my truck sits level front and back.

A couple more photos before I put it back together for mock up.

About the photos-I didn't trust my 110 mig welder or my skills for this operation so I had Kabwe bring his 220 mig over to my house and help me install my c-notch plates. The frame was not sliced in half to do this. Because I dropped the ball and did not take enough photos of each step, on another web site , some one asked the question ........ (you going to fish plate where you put in the c notch? Those sharp (square) edges seem like they will want to crack where they are welded into the frame.)
The ANSWER:
The top of the original frame is still intact and the square pieces are welded to it under that top piece. The top piece only joins the two sides at the top. If you look at the piece closely you can see the HAZ and weld penetration from when Kabwe welded inside the box. Its forming the arch of the original frame.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 02-28-2013 at 04:37 AM.
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote