The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
t300

help a new guy! (me)

Hi all, new guy here. Just sold my project car of the last 13 years and I'm shopping around for a 67-72 truck. I'd like some feedback on potential candidates and future mods. Not a lot of decent trucks left where I am but I have found a few diamonds in the rough so far.

Usage: it will be a summer shop truck (I live in canada, snow from Nov to April). I want to haul garbage, 4x8 foot sheets of metal, my quad, dirt, and pull the odd car hauler trailer, etc etc. May drive it in winter once in a while as well but we'll see. Probably drive it to work most days in summer.

Requirements so far: original paint with good patina, 8foot box.

Mods: I'm a turbo guy, I'd really like a turbo diesel swap eventually. cummins 6bt would be nice but pretty heavy, I'd settle with a mildly built up 4bt. Must be (eventually) automatic trans. Open to suggestions but no carbs. doesn't have to be fast, but it does need to have torque. I never intend to paint it, which is why I'm looking for a good patina.

Having said all that, due to box payload and hauling intentions, do I look for a 3/4 ton? Do I get a 1/2 ton and beef it up? Do I even need to? Should I go with airbags, and would coil spring rear suspension make that easier?

I have a pretty well equipped shop. hoist, welders (ac/dc tig, mig), small cnc mill, and just got a 4x8 CNC plasma table, pretty pumped about that. Last project car was modified from head to toe, did custom turbo setup, built and ran megasquirt efi. So I'm no stranger to fab work, but I am completely new to trucks, so if I could get some guidance from the group it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all
Matt
t300 is offline   Reply With Quote