The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
templetoncw

Painting my '64 c10

I'll be painting my 64 c10 in a few weeks and I wanted to see if anyone could offer me up a few pointers. I've never painted a truck before, but I'm capable enough with my hands to do it (plus I've got all the tools I need - air compressor, air sander, paint gun etc)

Some history on the truck... It was bought new by the US department of forestry in 65 and was yellow when stock. It sat around for years and years until my dads barber bought it a few years back. He rebuilt the engine and then painted it with black spray paint. I bought the truck off him last year and so far all I've done was have the rear end changed out and regeared.

I'm going to use a "Hot Rod Flatz" paint because it seems to be a good choice for a first time paint job, I love the flat look, and its nice and simple.

Some ?s I had...

What grit sand paper should I use? Since it was last painted with black spray paint, how far down should I sand it? Am I to take it all the way down to the original color, or till I see metal?

Do I need to apply a primer first, or is the hot rod Flatz considered a primer itself? Should I apply a coat of any type on top of the hot rod Flatz?

I live in San Diego and the truck is garaged 95 percent of the time.

Thanks so much guys!!!!!

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

templetoncw is offline   Reply With Quote