The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Zeroman

What to do? What to do?

New to the board, and I need some advice. Here's my story and dilemma.

I've got a 70 SWB Step that's been sitting in the garage for the last few years. It was my son's first vehicle which my dad helped him finance.

The truck came out of central TX as a 6cyl/standard, and the previous 2nd owner swapped in a 305 and a 350 TH, painted it, and threw on some 6 lug mags and tires.

We put in GM Crate Standard 350 and a rebuilt 350TH, new core support, battery box, radiator, hood, hinges, springs, inner fender wells, PS, new Painless wiring harness, non-power disc brake front end, swapped the rear axles, added chrome steelies, tires, new tailgate, and God knows what else.

I had just started cutting the stock AC vent holes in the dash, when I noticed the telltale bubbling of rust above the front wind shield. That's when I realized the bonehead previous owner had media blasted out all of the putty in the rain gutter, never put any back in, and painted the cab. The cab was toasted top to bottom from the inside out from rain channeling down all four pillars. A total rust bucket, but not visible. I stopped spending money on it, and my son drove it for two more years with no AC.

Anyway, I got the truck back from him in a trade, and it's been sitting ever since.

I bought a 71 cab a few years ago hoping to do a swap, but it has body damage and some rust to repair.

Today I ran across an affordable 67 small windowed cab. It is already media blasted and epoxy primed. Very, very little rust to repair, probably just one cab corner.

I am looking at spending a bunch of cash on the 71 cab to get it usable, more than the cost of the 67, plus, I could probably turn the 71 cab for what I have in it.

I just don't know if I want to put a small window cab on the truck, or not. If I do, the truck would definitely be considered "non standard".

Will the 70 front clip bolt right on? How about the cowl?

I could title it as a 67(the title comes with it), or leave it titled as a 70. Which would be better?

I would be months ahead of schedule getting it back on the road, and probably minus some headaches.

What are my possible pitfalls? Any advantage, or disadvantage, to the small window?

Thanks for your input.
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote