The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
DownrangeFuture

New guy here

Okay... try #2. Maybe chrome won't randomly reload this time...

Anyway, first things first, intro. So, I'm Downrange and I fix and sell motorcycles for my hobby. I work in field service in the oil field fixing control systems for drilling rigs. Usually good money, but for some reason since the last election, drilling has all but stopped in the US. Well, except for all the Chinese guys in the Gulf...

So, I don't know much about classic cars or trucks. But my current project is ready to sell and I need help. I picked up a 2004 GSX-R750 for about $2000 in trade stuffs a few weeks ago. She ran okay and the cosmetics were horrible. So about $600 in fairing/tank repair and a tune up and I've got the bike on craigslist. I suffer from bike ADD so fixing and selling makes it basically free to switch bikes every 6 months or so.

Obligatory pics:
Before:

After:

Did the painting myself.

Anyway, I got an offer to trade for this:
http://houston.craigslist.org/bar/3702440190.html
And I have no idea about classic trucks. I like looking at them but never owned or worked on one. Honestly, I can strip a motorcycle down to individual parts and put it back together, (and it usually even runs better than before), but I don't know much about cars. I gather they're similar.

I do know the bed can be changed out for wood, and the 6x9 cutouts in the doors aren't stock. Beyond that, I don't know if it's worth trading for and fixing or not. Or how much it could be worth even. What's not stock. How much work is still left to do. If there's anything I should really look for. I know what to look for on an old bike, but I'm out of my element.

This would probably be a keeper for me. I really need something to drive on rainy/cold days. And the occasional light haul from time to time wouldn't be bad either.

Anyway, thoughts, ideas from the experts and/or peanut gallery?
DownrangeFuture is offline   Reply With Quote