The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Trap62

Friday Night Math Quiz

The premise of my question deals with the fact that my radiator support is currently lower on the outside passenger side edge by one inch as compared to the opposite edge. Knowing that I only have to adjust each side's height by a half inch, I'm wondering how thick of a washer/washers will I need to pad on the passenger side radiator support bushing assembly? Here are some pictures that show what I'm referring to.

Name:  IMG_2450.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  71.2 KB
This is a head-on shot of my truck when I first bought it. To me, everything looks level.

Name:  RH.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  92.2 KB
This is a shot of the driver side mount showing the old bushings set -- there are no extra pieces as far as I can tell.

Name:  LH.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  100.0 KB
This is a shot of the passenger side mount -- again, there are no extra pieces. Also, the support is approximately 3/8" lower (as measured from the ground) on this side as compared to the other side. My thinking is that I would add the extra washer/washers here between the top of the mount an below the radiator support.

Name:  IMG_4451.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  50.0 KB
Threw this picture in to show that the support looks off when I reattached the radiator support. One thing I should mention is that I have not tighten any of the bolts as I needed some play to get the inner fenders in. Don't know if that would make a difference.

Name:  IMG_5665.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  50.2 KB
Lastly, here's a front shot to compare with the original front shot which shows that there is a definite inbalance when the grill, hood and bumper are attached.

I guess the math quiz is this:

The radiator support is ~70" wide. One end (LH) is ~32.5" off the ground while the other end (RH) is ~31.5" off the ground. The radiator support mounting points are located ~19.5" in from each end. THe RH point is 14 11/16" off the ground and the LH point is 14 5/16" off the ground. The distance between th two points is ~32" so heading out from the centerpoint, at the RH point, I'm lower by 3/8" due to the mounting bracket and by the time I get to the outer edge (~19.5" later) I've increased the lowering to 1/2". Based off the above numbers, is it simply the addition of a 3/8" washer that would level out support or is it something more complicated???

Thanks!
Trap62 is offline   Reply With Quote