The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Changed my tranny fluid, filter, and gasket today. Very pleased

First off, wanted to thank SSTim for letting me pick his brain before, during, and after this project. You really were a big help

Much to my surprise, I discovered I have the beefier TH400 transmission. Cool!

While I was at it, I bought a new transmission filter and gasket. I got it from Autozone for about $8. The box includes both the filter and the pan gasket. I went with Valvoline Max Life full synthetic, that includes seal and gasket conditioners to help prevent leaks. I also substituted one bottle of Lucas tranny fix, because I like how it worked in there before the drain.

There isn't a drain plug. You just have to losten some of the bolts, and it'll start draining (very slowly). I got tired of waiting, and just removed the pan, and then cleaned up the crime scene on the ground later.

I then cleaned the bottom of the pan out with clean paper shop towels, installed the new filter, and buttoned everything back up.

Fill it through the dipstick hole with a funnel. Put in a couple quarts, then do a half a quart at a time, checking the fluid with the engine running and taking care not to overfill by much

Boy, the truck runs great! Shifts well and runs awesome. I ran it hard on the second leg of my test drive, and it's definitely got some good power.

So, in the past few weeks, I've changed the differential fluid, engine oil and filter, and now the transmission. The old beast is happy with me, and I have a deeper appreciation for how well this rig is put together with the huge 3/4 ton rear diff and beefy TH400 transmission.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote