The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
stexag

2-Part Cooling Question

My truck has some modifications made by the PO that lack completion. One centers around the cooling system and I need to complete the work but I'd like to ask your advice first.

My truck currently doesn't have a shroud. I acquired my truck over the winter so it has not been a huge issue even after I added the VA a/c, but I live where it is starting to get HOT and my temp gauge shows it. (383 SBC, TH350, C-10, '69) I'm not getting the engine HOT yet, but we've had days in the low 90's that give me reason to think when we get 100 plus I will get pretty close to the red. I have to have a shroud or make another significant change.

Here is Question 1: My front crossmember is out of a 73-87 truck. The top of the fan is just about dead even with the top of the radiator. Is that where it is supposed to be? I'm asking before I order a shroud just in case the crossmember changed the attitude of the engine and I should be looking for an alternate shroud. I'm sure some of you have experience with this.

Question 2: It's hot here in south Texas. Does changing to electric fans make a significant difference in cooling? I would gladly do so if it would mean the engine would run cooler. I see people upgrading but I don't know if it's to gain cooling efficiency or other reasons. Is an electrical system upgrade necessary to add a double 12" fan kit?

Thank you.
stexag is offline   Reply With Quote