The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
BOHICA-Chevy68

How to wire - Write Up

So I thought I would add my contribution to the forum. I have seen a lot of different threads the address wiring in this and that and it is all very good information. But I have not found a thread on how to appropriately wire in something. I'm not talking about which wire goes were, but am directing this thread to proper wiring technique.

I spent the day yesterday fixing the P.O. spotty wiring in my truck. By the end of the event I was ready to look up the P.O. (not the person I bought the truck from as I'm the third owner) and then swiftly throat punch him for driving such a fire hazard on the road.

I will go over the do's and don't. I even took some pictures of the stuff I found. I didn't photograph everything I found, I only have so much room on my camera.

Vehicle wiring can cause fires if done wrong. Certain things do not belong in a vehicle. You do not wire a vehicle like you wire your house.

First the don't:

Do not use wire nuts.
Do not make connections with electrical tape.
Do not leave exposed wiring.
Do not leave free hanging wires.
Do not use solid core wire (unless specifically told to for the application)
Do not bypass fusses.
Do not paint wires.

Here are a few example of what would be wrong in a car or truck.

Standard residential wire nut, not intended for vehicle application.

Wires connected using twist and tape method. Never ok in any application.

Wires of different size and different color are not appropriate.

Now the do's:
-Ensure all connections are accurate and a good connection is made.
-Always use the appropriate connecting pieces
-Ensure a good ground is established
-All connections should be made liquid and oil resistant.
-Use of proper gauge wire (you'll need to research when you are doing your specific task)
-Always use stranded wire (unless specifically directed not to)
-Ensure proper fuse is in place.

So some quick facts on electricity. This will be brief and explained in the simplest form. You should note that if attempting electrical work, you should have a good quality electrical meter. one that read, at the least, volts, amps and ohms. What are these three thing you ask? Well to put it simply think of a water system. Volt are "water pressure", amps is the amount of water and watts is the amount that a electrical device needs. Ohms is a measure of resistance. We could discuss this in a whole different thread, but that is the readers digest version.

So how do you wire correctly for vehicle application? Well, here we go:

I had to splice in a new ignition wire. I started with this:

You will need to cut back the wire about 1/8 of an inch to ensure you have good wire. You will need to keep cutting back to good wire if you do not have good wire. Remove the sheathing about 1/4 of an inch to make your new connection.

Now crimp your new connection on. Do not use pliers, you need to use the proper crimping tool when doing this. Repeat the process for the other side, before you connect the wire you will need to slip on a piece of shrink tubing. Some butt connectors come with the shrink tubing incorporated in the connector.

Now apply heat to the shrink tubing and to make your connection water and oil resistant.

The same process can be done for other connection types.

I hope this helps some and prevents bad situations.

When you do not have a good connection a wire can arch or create friction heat. Heat creates fire and will destroy your car or truck.
BOHICA-Chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote