The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
aedcustoms

I fell in love, then she broke my heart :(

So today I became the proud owner of a 69 swb, it was love at first sight. She's a little rough but she has potential. I picked her up about 140 miles from my house and proceeded to drive her home. She ran great 65-75 mph no problem.....at least for the first 135 miles. I got close to home and hit a little traffic at a 4 way stop. Upon leaving the intersection I heard what I could best describe as an exhaust leak.

I babied her to the next available parking lot, she was now very sluggish and popping something fierce. I popped the hood to see what the deal was and the popping or ticking was coming from the intake. It seems to be backfiring in the intake.

When I picked her up she had a smidge over a quarter tank in her so I filled her up at the closeset gas station. When this started happening the fuel level was right at a quarter. I put some more gas in her and she was still backfiring in the intake. So I babied her home, I did notice that if I just eased on the gas she would not backfire but I'm talking very slowly. But try to accelerate normal an she sounds like she's making popcorn. And she doesn't do it at idle.

I'm thinking maybe some sediment or rust in tank got to the carb (no filter between pump and carb)causing a lean condition, or maybe the timing got messed up somehow. I'll have to do some investigating tomorrow as it got dark on me today.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
aedcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote