The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
MidLifer

Power steering bleed taking forever

I just got done doing a front end overhaul - new control arms/ball joints/tie rods/idler/pitman. While doing that I also replaced the power steering lines. I did the steering work with the lines off, and in doing so, pretty much all of the fluid puked out of the box. The box was dry for a few weeks while the truck sat and I was installing all the steering stuff.

I got everything back together and have been doing the bleed procedure as described in the many threads I have read on this topic (raise wheels, turn lock to lock). I've been through 5 or 6 cycles of this, and have gone through a bottle and a half of ps fluid (note that a lot of this was puked up through the pump with air bubbles). The box is no longer growling, but I'm still getting air and there is still some pulsing resistance in the steering. Still seeing foam in the fluid and hissing out of the pump when I get done with the procedure.

I do not see any evidence of leaks anywhere in the system. I would assume that if air is getting in, fluid would be getting out.

Is it normal that bleeding out the air should take so long? Most of the threads I've read say that it should only take one or two cycles.

Am I looking at a new box/pump/both?
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote