The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Longhorn 70

Engine Decisions...Fix, Rebuild, Replace???

I have a 70 Longhorn with a nice body and chassis that I have owned for almost 30 years and it was my deceased Uncle's before I bought it. It came with a 350 4V and a T350. When I bought it, a manual with granny was in it. Now it has a 67 Olds Toronado 425 in it that I rebuilt 25+ years ago that has a lot of miles on it. The olds still runs but is getting tired. There is a slight, low knock in it and the oil pressure fluctuates with the knock...... I really like the smoothness and power of the Olds but don't like the costs associated with rebuilding it.

I am going to pull the motor this weekend and mic the crank main and rod journals. I will also verify the connecting rods are the proper size. If all looks OK and is within spec, I plan on replacing bearings and oil pump and bolting it back in. Besides the aforementioned, I will replace the rear main seal and front crank seal. As well as the front transmission seal.

Anything else I should do while I am in there??? I feel I am forgetting something. OR should I bite the bullet and rebuild the whole thing? OR, again with the ORs, should I replace with a small block and be done with it???

Thanks in advance for the voices of reason and consideration.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote