The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
PowderB

Engine question.

I have a 350 that came out of my 69 c10. It turned over fine,but when i took the oil pan off i found that the rod cap for cylinder 3 had come unbolted and had banged around in there a few times. The question i am having here, is that cylinder 3 and 4 have a chunk out of the cylinder wall at the bottom from where the rod had hit it. cylinder 3 has a 1/2 inch wide x 1/2 in chip out of it and cylinder 4 has a 1 inch wide x 1/2 inch chip out of it. A mechanic friend said that i could put a good piston in each cylinder and rotate them and if the rings were not visible in the crack i could still use the block and rebuild. Is that the case and I can rebuild without a problem or should i scrap the block and find a new one. I will have to replace the crank,but the block other than the 2 chips out of the bottom of the cylinders is in top shape. Any information you have would be more than helpful.
PowderB is offline   Reply With Quote