The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
carcrafter22

Making a 1947 2ton a daily driver. Bad idea?

Hello guys. I'm looking for a classic truck to turn into a daily driver. I'm mainly looking at 53-56 Ford and 47-54 chevy trucks. I've built several classics and used as daily drivers (I seem to have made the crown vic swap popular with my 67 F100) but this would be my first 50's model ford or chevy so I need some help.

I've come across a local 2 ton 1947 model chevy truck in great shape. For the price he wants I could see swapping out the rear axle for a modern disc single wheel and changing the front out for a mustang 2 or something similar and still be well below what I've been seeing 3100 series trucks go for in bad shape locally. If it weren't for the price I would just wait around for a nice 3100 or 3800 series truck and go that route but it seems like a nice truck and will give me what I mainly want anyway which is a solid cab.

Is there any disadvantage to using this truck vs starting with a 1/2 ton model considering I'd want to change to modern suspension and axle anyway?

I understand the wheel well opening is a bit bigger on these trucks vs the 1/2 tons but that doesn't look to be a big deal.

Anyone here use 2 ton fenders on a project? got any pics?

Thanks
Randy
carcrafter22 is offline   Reply With Quote