The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
biggsteve97

gear ratio gm 14bolt upgrade

Ok, I have a custom built 87 Chevy heavy half with a mild 3-4 inch lift,np203 t-case, NV4500HD trans, dana 44 open front, locked gm 12 bolt rear with 3.73 gears currently on 32" tires. I have a gm 14 bolt that i have upgraded with disc brakes that I will be installing soon but I am stalled out at the moment. The 14 bolt needs a diff, the open carrier is shot and I am going to put in a locker I just cannot decide whether to upgrade to 4.10 gears or keep the 3.73 gears. I want to put 33" tires on in place of the worn out 32" tires so I know this will change things slightly. I am pushing more than 300hp and 420lb ft of tq out of the built 350V8 so the truck moves great even with a 5000lbs in the bed. I know that the 14 bolt is seriously heavyier than the 12 bolt even with the disc brakes and then throw in taller tires makes me think I should take this opportunity to throw in 4.10s. I built this truck for hauling and so it sees a lot more highway duty than trail duty and sometimes daily driver duty. That depends on the how my daily driver is doing. Any input would be great. I can get the locker and gears used but good here locally from a gears vendor for fairly cheap just dont know how good of an idea it would be to upgrade considering power has never been a problem before.
biggsteve97 is offline   Reply With Quote