The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
yossarian19

Re: Project: Over My Head

Progress has been made.
[IMG][/IMG]
This is the CPP (bought through Speedway Motors) steering kit & '86 C10 "metric" steering box installed. I put "metric" in quotes because the mounting bolts & output shaft are still SAE threads, even if the hydraulic lines are metric. 4 7/16 coarse thread bolts mount it to the frame & not too surprisingly, the 1957 pitman arm retainer nut fits just fine on the '86 box.
Now that I re-read the instructions, though, they DO mention that more than 3.5" back spacing will rub the box.
Darn. Limits my wheel choices, or my steering radius.
I want to run 15x7 or 15x8" rims and 30x9.50 tires on this truck. The rims I want are only available in 4.0" back space, which won't quite fit. I guess I could run a 1" wheel adapter, or adjust the steering stops to prevent tire chunking.
I haven't welded the box's top mount to the frame yet, so it' not too late to move the box forward if I need to, though I don't see much room to do so. Also - it's oriented as CPP instructs and still seems that the tie rod on the drag link binds a little bit going through it's arc.
So, still some bugs to work out but hey, I have a steering box, drag link, steering arms, kingpins & tie rods. Even have hubs & rotors.
Performance Online is still giving me the blow-off, the bastards, so I'll wind up modifying their poorly-fitting brackets so I can mount calipers and move on with life.

And, let's see. In other news, I passed my A1 (Engine Repair) and A6 (Electrical / Electronic Systems) exams so I'm now A1, A6, A4 & A5 certified. This means lots more free time - and with summer keeping the lights on later, I just might get this thing on the ground & rolling some time soon.

Up next: Column, intermediate shaft & finishing the brake plumbing.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote