The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
MattPSU

Too Hot???

I'm trying to figure out if my truck is running too hot.

1972 - 350 auto, 180* thermostat - it's also about 85+ in SC today.

Took it for about a 20 minute drive tonight - the second short drive after having everything apart - and it seemed really hot when I got back. The temp gauge was about 1/3 of the way up - creeping towards straight up. When I got back the hoses were nearly too hot to touch and solid as can be. It's the original radiator, but all new hoses. I did shave my heater, and I have a hose in it's place (running from the intake into the water pump).

The first drive last week heat stained my intake. It was suggested that I add the heat riser plates (?) which I did this past week. While at it, I also switched from the 195* thermostat to a 180* (I also drilled 3 holes in it).

After today's drive, the stain is starting to show back up and it seems to be really hot to the touch. I never noticed how hot it was before I tore it all down, but I think I would have noticed it being this hot.

It also shook when I came to a stop and it stalled when I finally did stop. Not sure if this is related or not.

Is it too hot? Or is there another problem? Suggestions?

Thanks - Matt

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote